You’ve decided you want to start running, lift your ass off the couch after years of stillness, accumulated fat and elevators taken even to climb only to the first floor. I know, it’s nice to feel small Homer J. Simpson, owners of the sofa, heavy and clumsy but if you really feel the need to improve (even a little bit) continue reading this article.
The wisest thing is to start gradually, maybe walking, because – I’m sorry to tell you – but you’re not Usain Bolt and you don’t even look like him far away. It is obvious that, if you are a heavy smoker and/or overweight and/or suffering from heart disease, the first thing to do is to have a medical examination to verify your suitability.
The only thing you will need for this first phase is a pair of running shoes suitable for your foot/support, everything else is optional.
The ideal way to start is to plan at least 3 trips per week (up to a maximum of 6), personally I advise you not to exaggerate initially even if the enthusiasm will be very high remember that the “weeks” are only indicative, in fact it will be better to move on to the next phase only when you feel comfortable and not at all tired at the end of an outing.
- 1 minute of light running alternated with 2 minutes of walking 9 times (total 27 minutes)
- 2 minutes of light running alternated with 3 minutes of walking 6 times (total 30 minutes)
- 4 minutes of light running alternated with 3 minutes of walking 5 times (total 35 minutes)
At the end of these first weeks you will start to feel more vital, active and reactive. Be careful, don’t exaggerate, the next few weeks will be even cooler!
- 6 minutes of light running alternated with 3 minutes of walking 5 times (total 45 minutes)
- 10 minutes of light running alternated with 3 minutes of walking 4 times (total 52 minutes)
- 15 minutes of light running alternated with 3 minutes of walking 3 times (total 54 minutes)
Now you should start to feel fit, you’re starting to walk a few miles. A little over a month ago you were a couch sloth and now you feel more alive and active. And even aesthetically, you’re starting to improve. What more do you want? Continue, of course.
- 25 minutes of light running alternated with 3 minutes of walking twice (total 56 minutes)
- 40 minutes of light travel (exit 1)
- 40 minutes of light travel (exit 2)
- 45 minutes of light travel (exit 3)
- 45 minutes of light travel (exit 1)
- 50 minutes of light travel (exit 2)
- 50 minutes of light travel (exit 3)
- 1 hour of light running or 10 km (one way out)
At the end of this phase rest a few days, you are learning to run and your body begins to adapt. Always take your time, if you feel the need to rest one more day do not have problems: it is always good to listen to the signals of our body.